Garrison Dam Spillway

People who settled in the town are mainly of German-Russian heritage. After the dam was completed in 1955 many construction workers moved. A few workers stayed to make this their permanent home. Now many retired people and employees of energy related firms reside in the town.

In 1981 a new City and Fire Hall were built. The present community also supports a grocery store, two steakhouses, two convenience store/gas stations, restaurant, laundry mat, gift shop, ice cream shop, and a motel.

Photograph courtesy of DeVane Webster, WestDakota Photographs